Firstly BREASTFEEDING IS HARD. It is not easy, even for me who’s babies latched and drank with ease, no tongue ties, no lip ties, just healthy (lazy) babies, but Boy is it HARD.
So I have some tips and essentials to help you get through this not so easy time.
- Cry if you have to, I felt like I was failing if I cried but you know what all those hormones rushing out of your body and bubs crying your allowed to cry. (I’m giving you permission to cry).
- A good breast pump in the right size. The tip to getting a good supply is feed, pump, eat, drink (water) and feed again. But the pumping part is made so much easier if you get one that works well. My favourite is the medela swing, I have also used the avent manual pump.
- Keep a spare shirt in your car. Breast pads for me did not work, most of the time I had a spit rag tucked into my bra and please do not feel embarrassed if you leak, we all do.
- In Australia feeding in public is legal. So don’t feel like a criminal for doing it.
- Sometimes we can’t make it to the parents room in the fear bubs will get so worked up that they won’t be able to latch. So if you don’t feel comfortable feeding in public, you can tie a muslin wrap in a corner then you can pop it over and it acts as a cover for your boobies and bubs.
- Lastly there are support groups and phone lines you can call for mums so ustilise them if you need them.
The Lazy Mummy.
I also have a post for formula fed bubs so please check that out too.